Domaine la Chapelle de Blagny, Meursault
We are the first to introduce and offer wines from this exciting new Meursault Domaine in the UK. From the 12th to the 18th centuries, these vineyards belonged to the Cistercian Abbey of Maizières, then in 1811 were bought by an ancestor of the present owners. Since then, 5 generations have quietly been tending the vineyards and harvesting the grapes – selling them, until recently, to local Burgundian merchants. The property is named after a 15th century chapel next to the winery.
The vineyards of the hamlet of Blagny may be less well-known than Meursault 1st Growths like Perrières, Genevrières or Charmes, but quality-wise they are up there with the greatest. They lie on high, steep slopes between Meursault and Puligny-Montrachet. They cover just 40 hectares, yet include over 20% of the 1st Growth appellations of the two communes. This is classic white wine land, with clay-limestone marls, and is 90% planted with Chardonnay (although Pinot Noir is permitted, to make a little Blagny 1er Cru rouge). Global warming is a fact of life in Burgundy, and this has often brought earlier, warmer springs than in the recent past. Combined with a hot summer, this can sometimes lead to over-ripeness of grapes. Blagny vineyards however have sufficient altitude for the grapes to come to ripeness slowly, while retaining precious, fresh acidity. These vineyards are perfectly positioned to produce 1st Growth Meursaults of the greatest complexity, with immaculate balance, and great length.